Sister Charlotte Weissgerber, a prominent social service worker from Philadelphia, came to York in 1951 as the first executive director of The Lutheran Welfare Service. However, forward thinking pioneers in social ministry, began the process in 1950 when they studied the needs of families and the elderly in their community and then reached out to meet those needs. The fledgling operation began with $9,000 and a modest office on Market Street in York.
On April 29, 1959 Lutheran lay people, clergy, builders and guests gathered together in York for a program of dedication for the York Lutheran Home for the Aged. That day of dedication marked the beginning of Lutheran Social Services of South Central Pennsylvania (LSS) as we know it today.
In the counties west of York, the Lutheran Inner Mission was providing similar services for individuals and families. In 1965, Lutheran Welfare Service merged with the Lutheran Inner Mission to provide additional services throughout the entire South Central Pennsylvania region.
Today, Lutheran Social Services of South Central Pennsylvania is one of the leading non-profit organizations in the region. LSS and its program agencies and subsidiaries serve nearly 11,000 people each year.